Sunday, August 19, 2012

Where In The World Am I?

On Saturday I hopped on a plane to Germany to visit Katie and Andrew! I have NEVER traveled by myself and to be honest it was a bit lonely. However, the travels went well

UNTIL...

I landed in Germany...

I had my bag and I was exiting the baggage claim area, Andrew and Katie were in sight! I was 10 steps from hugging them when a man came up to me and asked me to please go into "customs".
Although it ruined an "oh so thankful to see you moment" I was happy to oblique!
After all, I was just a Momma going to visit my sweet daughter and son-in-love!
I had nothing to hide!

Once I was in the room, he was not so friendly but I was still cheerful!
I said be careful of this package it's for my daughter...
And then the questions began and the interrogation took another direction...

Evidently, I did something wrong that I was unaware of- I brought a birthday gift for our daughter and it was over the customs limit- I had no idea. I have only been to China to adopt children and have never run into this issue.

On top of that I guess I walked through the wrong door...
It was not clearly marked and again I had no clue that I had made this mistake.
Sadly to say, this man had been to the USA and had been detained for some reason in NYC (his experience included handcuffs) so he was not feeling so kindly towards Americans...

It was a bit of a fiasco and definitely a learning experience. I can certainly understand what I did unknowingly wrong but it could have been a much more congenial experience had he also had a kind heart.

Such is life with it's ups and downs and oh. so. many. learning experiences.
I prayed while being detained, Andrew and Katie were very helpful and God heard my prayers.
It ended as well as it could have and after a couple hours I was free!

FREE!
Praise God!
Do we really realize how blessed we are to have the freedoms that we have in America?


I believe this man was doing his job. I also believe he could have handled it better and been more kind and less threatening towards me in this situation.

BUT NOW...
WE...
 MOVE ON...
 and enjoy GERMANY!!
Thankfully I can enter the country again and I am cleared of this incident.

Uffda!


The town of Stuttgart is magnificent!
It is in a valley surrounded by mountains and hills.


The architecture is incredible!


I am in awe of it's beauty!


Today it was into the 90's! The hottest day so far!
The fountain felt great and cooled us off!

We found a Starbucks so I could have a coffee and "wake up"!


This cute cute little town is right next to the military base! I can't remember the name but will add it in later!
We ate at the restaurant on the right!


Katie loves photography and honestly this IS THE PLACE for it!
That is why I brought her a new lens for her birthday!


It is so wonderful to see the two of them!!
Andrew will be out of town for the next couple of days, so Kate and I are going sightseeing!


We ate at a Greek restaurant- it was so quaint and the food was soooo good!


I am so thankful to be here!


THANK YOU JESUS!
I have never traveled alone and never been to Europe.
I am so thankful for this opportunity!!

No comments:

Post a Comment