Friday, August 10, 2012

School's in session!


We started school about a week ago.
The children were excited to have the school year begin! Bye, bye kindergarten, hello 1st grade!! 
With our upcoming trip to China this winter I knew we had to get as much as possible done!


Sarah is doing Abek* 3rd grade. It's a good fit for her!
She is successful at it but it's still challenging.
I know she would like to get "caught up" but I'm not sure how that will happen. 
This is one of the big challenges with older child adoption? Where do they belong in school, especially if they have had very little education in their birth country( China ).


Abby is just getting used to learning. Even though she was in a preschool in China they must not have done any academics. Everything was knew to her- she could not count and she did not know her colors. I was discouraged when she first came home. She had very little interest in learning anything- academic wise or behavior wise. I am sure the fact that she was not feeling well and EVERYthing was new to her played a huge part in her learning abilities.

After being home 6 month she is beginning to learn- which thrills me!!
It's slow but going in the right direction!


Anna, Ava, Sam and Ellie are all in first grade.
It is nice to have this group working together. They have different strengths and some may need more help that others at different times but hopefully they can stay in the grade together!


Anna is an awesome reader with a photographic memory, she's way ahead of first grade. Ava is a natural at math and an all around great student.

Ellie works hard and has a wonderful attitude! She needs lots of positive feedback and repetition.
My biggest concern for Ellie is her speech- which is another post.



Sam is a little young for the grade (August Birthday) but he does well. IF he were to ever go to school- I would put him in the grade younger.

Luke is copying everything Sam does- it's adorable!
Luke is only 3 yrs old, he will go to preschool 2 afternoons a week starting in September!



I love homeschooling these children and knowing where they are academically. I love spending the day with them!
However, I do love my afternoon off each week!
I run errands, maybe have lunch with hubby, go to an appointment and just have a moment to myself!
It's very "refueling"!
It's the afternoon that God and I spend away from the kids!
As I pray my way through the day!
When I come home I am excited to see the kids!


Ellie has beautiful handwriting! All the kids are working on cursive!


Ava has an artistic flare, she is very creative!


Abby and Emma are doing some preschool work, some kindergarten and joining us for a few subject!

So far so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment