Sunday, August 11, 2013

What Was I Thinking?

 I have a special talent!
I can whistle really really loud!
My neighbor taught me when I was 11 years old!

It has served me well over the years!
As a teenager at sporting events I use it to cheer the teams on!
At concerts and shows I could use it for a performance well done!
As a Mom I used it to call the children home for dinner!
I would whistle and our kids who were 3 blocks away could hear me!
If they were further away I would hear a child about 2 blocks away yelling for my kids and relaying the message!
"Johnny, your Mom's calling you!"
And Johnny would come home!

It was great!!


None of the older kids had a desire to learn how to whistle like mom!


 Sarah and Mia have expressed a desire, so I taught them how to do it!
They practiced and practiced and now both of them can whistle!

I am proud of their diligently continuing to try and all their practicing!

BUT, now I am seeing what it is like to be on the other side of my whistle...

It's loud, it's ear piercing, it's annoying, it's inside the house and outside of the house!

OH MY, what on earth was I thinking! 
I have told the girls they can only whistle 
OUTSIDE!


There has been some negative repercussions from my whistling too...
People with sensitive ears prefer not to sit next to me.

One time when our oldest kiddos played traveling basketball I whistled (in a cheering them on manor) and then turned back to have a conversation with the person sitting next to me.
The next thing I knew the game was stopped and a referee was pointing to me. He thought I had a whistle like his and was trying to mess with the basketball game...
Really???
It was so odd!
The parents from the other team did not believe me- that I could whistle that loud. They were certain I was carrying a whistle.
In fact it was years before they believed me!
The ref gave me a warning and allowed me to stay in the gym if I didn't do it again .

So girls...
be careful how you use your whistle!
It might get you into trouble!

No comments:

Post a Comment